Saturday, March 12, 2011

So no one told you life was gonna be this way...

I've been feeling very nostalgic lately and all my ponderings of the past inspired me to write.  First, let me again apologize if there are, in fact, any people in the blogosphere left who read my postings due to my extreme lack of material in the last few months.  Don't get excited... I'm still single.  Still completely and utterly single.  I wish I could report to you that my lack of blogging is due to the fact that I had been carried off into the sunset on horseback with Mr. Right.  Someday I will be able to share that very intriguing, captivating (and hopefully sinfully scandalous) story with you.  But, as I sit here on a Saturday night alone in my living room, in front of the latest episode of "Being Human" while the hooker red nail polish on my toes dries, I know that I'm in a much better place than I was a few months ago.  For the first time that I can remember, I am truly happy and optimistic about things to come.  Anyway, no sappiness tonight (remember, alone... and the bottle of chardonnay and half gallon of ice cream would be a recipe for disaster if paired with sappiness).  Just a quick update on where things stand for this perpetual Singleton.

Back to my nostalgia.  Thanks to Star 94, a local Atlanta radio station, I spent the day revisiting days gone by.  Each weekend, Star 94 plays all 90's music and since I spent most of the day behind the wheel in hot pursuit of the various locations of my favorite fashion store (and getting lost literally within 15 miles of my house.  You'd never know to watch me navigate that I have lived in Atlanta for over ten years), I had plenty of time to reminisce.  With favorites like "Your Name" by Goo Goo Dolls and "Ants Marching" by Dave Matthews Band and guilty pleasures like "Baby One More Time" (it's Britney, bitch) and "Barbie Girl" by Aqua, I was transfixed and transported back to a simpler time.  Days before cell phones and hours of agonizing over emotionless, difficult to interpret text messages (or the lack of them in the first place... or the influx of them, on the other hand.  It's feast or famine with me, honestly.).  Before eHarmony and Match.com, when you met people in person and talked on the phone.  A time when sending letters that were handwritten wasn't a complete oddity and when people didn't spend half of their time at dinner with you sorting through their emails on their smart phone...days when the most technologically advanced thing in my purse was my constantly nagging Tamagotchi.  A time when you could scrape together the change on the floorboards of your car to pay for a gallon of gas.

I spent last weekend with some of the few people from high school with whom I still want to keep in touch.  I had an amazing time.  We sat around for hours on end, chatting about our school days and catching up (okay, to be honest, we did some "Can you believe he ended up doing [insert horrible job] for a living?" and some "We all knew she'd end up married three times before 30," but in general we kept it kind).  Eventually, when we ran out of people to make fun of  stories to share, it was nice to just sit around with people who knew me all those years ago and still wanted to hang out with me.  People who had seen the horrible, thick glasses, the bad clothing choices and even worse hair, but must have thought I was a pretty cool chick underneath all that if they still wanted to see me twelve years later.  And even if there was a twinge of hesitation or nervousness on my part beforehand, now I can't wait to see them again.

The irony of all this is that we met in the 90's, those days before all this crazy social networking technology, but what brought us back together (or at least brought me there) was the technology.  Without Facebook, I probably would have never seen these people again.  Sure, I might have stumbled into one or two in a Wal-mart somewhere or heard some rumblings about their whereabouts from a distant mutual friend.  But joking and laughing over drinks as if we never missed a beat?  Probably not.

So, thank you 1990's for bringing these people into my life all those years ago and thank you Facebook for bringing them back.  And thank you Star 94 for reminding me that I grew up with these people during a truly amazing time!

2 comments:

  1. Did you have to mention Aqua's "Barbie Girl"? Dave likes to play that in the car to annoy the crap out of me (and I can't get away from it in a moving vehicle!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And it gets miserably stuck in your head for hours and hours. Honestly though, that's pretty much true about 99% of the songs on the Big 90's weekend. However, I was very excited that the first song they played on Friday at 5:00 was "Hangin' Tough" by NKOTB. I'm willing to suffer through all the Aqua songs for that!

    ReplyDelete

You might also like...

Related Posts with Thumbnails